Tuesday, December 19, 2017

One Little Word - 2018 (Self Care)

As 2017 comes to a close, I have to say one of the highlights of the year was our 20th wedding anniversary trip to Europe. I really enjoyed sharing those posts about it here on the blog. Each time I shared our stories, it was a little like reliving our adventures all over again.

But now it's time to switch gears and start looking toward 2018!
One of my biggest scrapbook inspirations is Ali Edwards who pretty much started the One Little Word concept quite a few years back. Basically you choose a word for the year and make it your focus. Some of the words I have chosen in the past are Breathe, Focus, Humor and Peace.


I've made a few scrapbook layouts over the years documenting my word, and I hope to do the same this year. Last year I tried something new and created a journal for my word Trust instead, but only filled about half of it.
That is what typically happens. I always start out pretty strong and than it kind of ebbs out. But I  still try to keep my word in the back of my mind when dealing with life. Such as remembering to see the humor in things when life gets tough, trying to focus on priorities, keeping peace in my home and with others, or simply breathing when anxiety is once again trying to close in on me. I use my word to help ground me and keep things light. The way I see it, I have one life to live. I can do it in a constant state of worry, stress and frustration. Or I can choose to see the positive and use my word to help me find a way to do just that!
This year I am choosing to focus on "Self Care". Ok, I know that it's really two words technically, but it's one concept. I am choosing to take care of myself so I can take care of others. So I can be the best wife, mom, friend, and person I can be. The healthier and happier I am, the more I have to give. The less anxious and stressed I am, the more peace and joy I can share. This is my goal for 2018 - to practice self care.

I used to think taking time to care for myself was selfish. That everyone else needed to come first. And most of the time I do still end up put my family first. But I also know that I need good sleep, I need exercise, I need to make sure I am eating well, and I need to do the things that make me feel happy. I have definitely made progress this past year. If I am having one of those days where I just don't have the energy to deal anymore, I know it's ok to put on an episode of Supernatural and just take 45 minutes to relax and regroup. Or instead of just talking about how much I want to do it, I actually will go and get a facial or massage. It makes me feel good and has positive benefits! Or instead of just thinking about how great it would be to join the YMCA and take a strength class, I decided to finally do it! So I am on the road already, but I know I want to keep moving in the right direction.

And since I know that in the past I kind of lose a bit of steam with my word come Spring, I signed up for Ali's One Little Word Workshop. I think it will be a good way to keep me engaged and reconnect with my word once a month to see how I am doing. This is a really important goal for me this year, because I see progress but I know there are areas where I could still improve!

Looking forward to seeing where my word takes me in 2018! I'll keep you posted :)

1 comment:

  1. This is a GREAT OLW!!!!! I didn't have one this year, but I have in years past-- I think I will work on having one in '18!!!

    ReplyDelete